[WikiEN-l] re:enforcing our trademark

SCO Estmort eudaimonic.leftist at gmail.com
Mon Jan 9 22:06:00 UTC 2006

>Quoted from Sherool:
>>Though I guess it might be better to just ignore those rather
>>than give in to the "blackmail" of various domain sharks.

Well, we would be the plaintiff, and we wouldn't of course accept anything
else than a settlement or a takedown (other than backing off, that is).
Which reminds me, we could possibly obtain compensation for damages in this
way, if we really want funds that much, provided the risk is low, of course.

My rationale for wikicommons.org is that if I recall, Wikimedia Commons is a
trademark, and wikicommons can thus be confused with it (ie. wiki concepts
aren't trademarked, but wikimedia names and such are).

Again, I see people who have filed lawsuits on behalf of the GPL have yet to
lose any case, and have forced all the violators they contacted to comply (a
few of which took it to court and the violators lost). Unless my confidence
is misplaced, I feel that we should have little reservations about enforcing
our trademark immediately. After all, there are laws against cybersquatting.