[WikiEN-l] The userbox fad

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Sun Jan 8 06:21:23 UTC 2006

Rob wrote:

>On 1/7/06, Ray Saintonge <saintonge at telus.net> wrote:
>

>>Rob wrote:

>>>Policy pages should fufill this function, and if they do not, they should be
>>>

>>>rewritten.  Sure, questions are necessary to clarify fine points and
>>>applications in particular instances, but users who refuse to read policy
>>>pages after being directed to them and need basic things explained to them
>>>

>>>over and over again or who wish to argue about fundamental policy points are
>>>

>>>time-wasting problem users.
>>>

>>That's still a paternalistic, dictatorial model.  You're closing off the
>>possibility that they may have better ideas.  That's also precisely
>>what's wrong with many educational systems who grind children into an
>>unquestiuning submission to the system.
>>

>How did you know I used to be a teacher? ;)
>
>I'm all for questioning authority as much as the next guy, but is any
>purpose really served by indulging a new editor who wishes to argue about
>something fundamental like the NPOV policy?  It's not going to change, and
>it's time better spent on, say, an encyclopedia.  I usually point people to
>the Village Pump if they want to topple one of the pillars of Wikipedia on
>their first day here.  Were I in the classroom again I would use the
>opportunity for an educational discussion (what we'd call a "teachable
>moment") on whatever the student was objecting to or suggesting.  This isn't
>a classroom, though, it's an encyclopedia.

Sure.  Sometimes the lesson that experienced editors have the hardest
time learning is, "Don't feed the trolls."  Some of the most successful
editors that we never hear about are the ones who just go about their
business editing the subjects they love best, without ever arguing with
newbies.  Pleading ignorance and sending them to the Village Pump is a
fine tactic; I'm sure there's enough people hanging around there to
indulge them as much as they want.

Teachable moments will work if you have receptive students.  As a
teacher you should have an instinct based on the way the newbie
expresses himself whether the teachable moment will have any effect.
Some will do well with a little tutoring, the others are best sent off
on some kind of fool's errand.

Ec