[WikiEN-l] userbox : insanity ?

SCZenz sczenz at gmail.com
Fri Jan 6 20:34:52 UTC 2006

> Jimmy Wales wrote:
> > SCZenz wrote:
> >
> >>How about {{User allow fairuse}}?  That seems to be against pretty
> >>much everything Wikipedia stands for.  If we have so many users who
> >>think they can *vote* in an unreasonable copyright policy, maybe we
> >>need unilateral admin action after all.
> >

> > I deleted that one myself.
>
> And then, upon a request on my talk page, undeleted it.  I'll let the
> TfD run its course.
>
> I'm in favor of deleting a ton of userboxes, especially those with
> non-free images, but frankly, I think we should get rid of most of them
> anyway.  (This is not a decree and I'm trying to stay out of the userbox
> wars myself.  Mostly.)

Jimbo, I have a question.  You think most userboxes should be deleted,
and so do a bunch of other people, including me at this point.  But
it's clearly not a supermajority, so almost all userboxes are going to
be kept if people stay within process (the one above may be an
exception).  In fact, as we've seen, there are a lot of people who
want to change policy about fairuse images in user space for the sake
of the boxes; maybe they could even change *that* we followed the
usual consensus-based procedure for adopting policy.

I've become more and more convinced that the inmates are indeed
running the asylum on these issues, so my question to you is: what do
you think we (as ordinary users who agree with your non-decree) should
do?

SCZenz