[WikiEN-l] Re: The userbox fad

Michael Snow wikipedia at earthlink.net
Fri Jan 6 02:19:29 UTC 2006

Anthony DiPierro wrote:

>On 1/5/06, Stan Shebs <shebs at apple.com> wrote:
>

>>While I'm generally in favor of broad latitude for user behavior,
>>there are some people who are simply net negatives, and it is in our
>>interest to get them to go away. I've come to steer away from most
>>of that kind of debating, because the encyclopedia benefits more
>>from me applying myself in areas where I have specialized skills,
>>knowledge, and reference sources. But sooner or later we're going
>>to have to develop better ways to filter out the unhelpful.
>>
>>Stan
>>

>You could always turn Wikipedia into an exclusive club that people can
>only get into if they can prove themselves worthy.

Hardly what he's suggesting. Filtering out the unhelpful means removing
people from the "club" after they've proven themselves unworthy, not
requiring them to prove worthiness before getting in at all. We already
do the former, but optimizing the filtering process is a bit challenging.

For similar reasons, we constantly struggle with the filtering process
currently known as "Articles for deletion". Since this one deals with
people even more directly, it should not be surprising that a happy
medium is difficult to find.

--Michael Snow