[WikiEN-l] The userbox fad

Peter Mackay peter.mackay at bigpond.com
Thu Jan 5 03:30:42 UTC 2006

> From: wikien-l-bounces at Wikipedia.org
> [mailto:wikien-l-bounces at Wikipedia.org] On Behalf Of Tony Sidaway

> When the house is on fire, you don't hold a discussion.

We're talking about userboxes here. These are used by a few editors to
display their pride in their beliefs and other personal aspects. Issues over
images and copyright can be resolved. And so what if like-minded people try
to collectivise their individual powers?

None of this amounts to an abuse of Wikipedia, nor is it "the house burning
down", or "the sky falling down" or anything else. It's just normal human
behaviour. If it makes editors happy, then smile and accept it as part of
building a community.

What I'm concerned about is the attitude that seems to be taken by some in
this discussion is that userbox users are somehow less worthy than other
Wikipedians.

Peter (Skyring)