[WikiEN-l] The userbox fad

Fl Celloguy flcelloguy at hotmail.com
Wed Jan 4 21:37:08 UTC 2006

I'm just going to play devil's advocate here, meaning that I don't
necessarily support the proposal below. I also know that this is radical and
may be going too far. But what if we entirely eliminated user pages? Sure,
having one can be good, but how much do user pages contribute to the
encyclopedia? Anything relevant on there can be placed on user talk
subpages. While user pages could essentially be moved to user talk subpages,
I'm sure that would take some of the focus away from user pages. Thoughts on
this? (Again, I'm just playing [[Devil's advocate]] here and would like to
see comments on this.)

Regarding the Esperanza vote - please don't take votes on Esperanza's
elections to mean that a user is either certified/uncertified/any other
position in Wikipedia. Esperanza is an organization dedicated to helping
promote Wiki-Love, and having a leadership position there means absolutely
nothing outside of the organization.

Finally, I know that this is a tangentally-related issue, but I'm wondering
if there's a policy against imitating genuine articles on user pages (i.e.
writing about a subject not deemed encyclopedic enough but placing it on
your user page, with the article's title as the user name, complete with
stub tags). If there is one, I haven't encountered such a policy. There was
recently some confusion with people misinterpreting such user pages as
Wikipedia articles (how they got directed to the user page, I don't
know...). Thoughts on this?

Thanks a lot!

Flcelloguy