[WikiEN-l] Worthy admins? (was "The userbox fad")

Sam Spade samspade.thomasjefferson at googlemail.com
Wed Jan 4 14:21:18 UTC 2006

You could always give rollback, delete, undelete, protect and
unprotect powers to everyone, at least everyone with more than X
edits.

Of course that would require banning users that abuse that power,
which I suppose is the real problem with adminship too: no one is
stepping up and removing the powers when they are abused.

The whole theory that adminship "should be no big deal" is based on
the fact that admins have no authority and that adminship can be taken
away.  The arb committee is what's really broken.  Actually, I'd say
the arb committee never worked all that well in the first place.

Anthony

A voice of reason! The problem isn't people being voted in w too few
votes, its the very idea of a popularity contest determining our
police force. And thats what admins are, they ARE NOT JANITORS. That
has got to be one of the stupidest wiki-concepts I have come across.

The #1 admin job is dispute resolution, like it or not, and good
dispute resolution is not indicated by the % of interested voters who
happen to be a part of ones clique, faction, or cabal ;)

RfA needs a compete overhaul, and a 30 vote minimum is NOT the answer.
Jimbo told me that RfA is working great, perhaps we'd better clue him
in?

Sam Spade