[WikiEN-l] The userbox fad

Philip Sandifer snowspinner at gmail.com
Wed Jan 4 04:46:47 UTC 2006

When last I checked, voting in general was against the rules.
Wikipedia is not a democracy, and never has been - it has always been
run based on the endpoints of reasoned discussions of the issues
among editors who are committed to Wikipedia's core issues. The
problem is that these discussions are being increasingly railroaded
by loud blocs of people who have realized that a poll takes less
time, and that when people assume good faith it's easy to get away
with a lot of shouting without being shut down, such that when
anybody does finally decide to pull the plug there's an uproar. I
looked at Kelly's RfC today, and was floored to see it describing the
percentage vote for censure so far. First of all, RfCs are not votes,
second of all, they are not votes for some motion of censure, third
of all, what the fuck?

This is a systemic failure of the system. The first step in fixing it
is to very explicitly clarify how we work. The second step is to
expend the effort to actually work that way.

-Phil