[WikiEN-l] The userbox fad

Brock Batsell wikipedia at theskeptik.com
Tue Jan 3 22:47:55 UTC 2006

Kelly Martin wrote:
> The difference is that the chess tournament didn't violate copyright,
> and when told to stop violating copyright, scream that its free speech
> rights were being violated.
>
> The userbox aficianadoes are.
>
> Kelly

Kelly—

Say an article contained an image not legally usable in Wikipedia. The
appropriate action in that case is to delete the image, and remove it
from the article, not to delete the article altogether. How, in any way,
shape, or form, is the appropriate action for dealing with an image not
legally usable in a template to delete the template altogether? The
appropriate action is to delete the image and remove it from the
template (it can be replaced with simple text or a free image).

Please don't use the copyright issue as a crutch — the reason you
deleted the templates wasn't because of the images, it was because you
dislike them. It's perfectly acceptable for you to have an opinion on
userboxes. What's unacceptable is using your administrative powers to
delete those userboxes without any clear consensus. I'm okay with
skipping process sometimes if it's unnecessarily cumbersome and there's
clear consensus, but that is *obviously* not the case here.

--
Regards,
[[en:User:Bbatsell]]