[WikiEN-l] Worthy admins? (was "The userbox fad")

Ben Emmel bratsche1 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 3 20:57:08 UTC 2006

On 1/3/06, Ryan Delaney <ryan.delaney at gmail.com> wrote:

> Incidentally, I agree with this, but the problem is that it will really
> become harder and harder to screen candidates accurately. Do you have any
> suggestions on how this could be done in some kind of scalable fashion?
>
> Ryan

I think a simple way to do this is to start having a minimum number of net
supports. 30, perhaps. This insures that the candidate is known enough
around Wikipedia. When the readership and editor numbers of Wikipedia
increases, so can the net support number, in order to accurately reflect the
population.

Another way is to promote a change in the voting mindset. I think that we
are too big and important to have support people with a simple "Oh, s/he
looks like a good editor. '''Support''' ~~~~"

My personal policy is to only vote for a candidate if I can personally vouch
for their editing, conflict handling, and janitorial abilities. There was a
time when I would support every candidate that looked ready. I eventually
realized that was only hurting the 'pedia, since even a good editor can go a
bit crazy with admin tools due to a lack of understanding.

--
Ben Emmel
Wikipedia - User:Bratsche
bratsche1 at gmail.com
"A fool sees not the same tree that a wise man sees."
-- William Blake