[WikiEN-l] The userbox fad

Kelly Martin kelly.lynn.martin at gmail.com
Tue Jan 3 20:19:32 UTC 2006

On 1/3/06, Stan Shebs <shebs at apple.com> wrote:
> Somebody compared userboxes to bumper stickers, and I think it's very
> apt. While we may dislike seeing cars covered with bumper stickers,
> we don't (usually :-) ) try to pass laws regulating the number or
> type of bumper stickers on a car, nor do we try to outlaw the
> printing of bumper stickers.

There have actually been attempts to pass such laws, and in some cases
they've even been passed.  Such laws are unconstitutional in the
United States, however, and so they don't last.

Wikipedia is not a free speech forum, however, and does not have to
worry about restrictions on advertisement, personal promotion, etc.
being found unconstitutional.

Kelly