[WikiEN-l] Re: Ads on Wikipedia?

charles matthews charles.r.matthews at ntlworld.com
Tue Jan 3 19:55:05 UTC 2006

"Steve Bennett" wrote

>. In fact, if you look at the whole reasoning for using
> the GFDL, the goal seemed to be making whatever concessions were
> necessary and removing all restrictions to ensure the widest possible
> dissemination of the work. Refusing ads seems to go against that
> particular goal.

The problems with goal-directedness: it might actually matter how you get
'there'; and 'there' might not mean the same thing to everyone.  In fact my
wikimeet experience convinces me that the 'there' is not a large factor in
people's motivation.  They want the process to be fun, as in lively, making
light of hassles, rewarding, that kind of thing.  They want 'can do'  as an
attitude, but certainly not 'suits' and too much business talk.  And these
are the folk who actually write for hours, for nothing, to post the pages
and turn the red links blue.

Charles