[WikiEN-l] The userbox fad

slimvirgin at gmail.com slimvirgin at gmail.com
Tue Jan 3 19:35:13 UTC 2006

On 1/3/06, Chris Jenkinson <chris at starglade.org> wrote:
> I'm not sure how this whining about new admins is helpful.

I was wondering why you were being aggressive, Chris, but now I
realize you're User:Talrias, the admin who reduced Marsden's block
twice, even though, as I believe you admitted, you were unfamiliar
with the situation. Without wanting to get into a row with you, I must
admit that that was the kind of incident that has caused me concern,
though by no means the only one. I want to stress that I'm not
alleging bad faith, but I feel that admins have to be able to trust
each other's judgement, even when we may disagree with it, so that
blocks aren't constantly being done and undone; and that speaks
directly to the issue of how we elect new admins, because if we want
to trust their judgement, and have them trust ours, there has to be a
shared philosophy or vision, and that requires a minimum amount of
community interaction before they're promoted. Without community
interaction, there's no respect for the community. But with too much
community interaction, there might be less respect for the
encyclopedia. So electing admins who have the right balance of edits
is a tricky business, a very "big deal" in my view.

Sarah