[WikiEN-l] The userbox fad

Steve Bennett stevage at gmail.com
Tue Jan 3 18:46:16 UTC 2006

> You really ought to learn to pick your battles. Yes, some
> people do things on Wikipedia that are less than entirely
> productive. But some of these things boost community morale
> and connect people with each other in fun ways. Yes, in an
> ideal world, we would spend all our time working on the
> encyclopedia and doing nothing else. But tha door swings both
> ways. In that world, you would spend all your time working on
> the encyclopedia, not launching a crusade over trivial crap like this.

Even more importantly, we're not paid. I'd be pissed off if I ran a
company building an encyclopaedia and my employees spent 8 hours a day
drawing silly pictures on the walls, and only half an hour on Friday
evenings working on the task. But if they're volunteers, and they're
working from home, drawing on their walls - what do I care? I'm getting
half an hour of free work a week here.

Steve