[WikiEN-l] The userbox fad

Kirill Lokshin kirill.lokshin at gmail.com
Tue Jan 3 18:34:17 UTC 2006

On 1/3/06, Brian <brian at bhaws.com> wrote:

> I think that a lot of the problem has come from the fact that a lot of these
> new users spend very little time actually editing the encyclopedia. I did a
> random scan of contributions of some of the people who signed the RFC and
> found a lot of them were not actively editing in article space. It's no
> surprise that they don't have a complete understanding of how it works.
> There's a lot of people involved against Kelly's RFC that are both not
> regular editors of Wikipedia and are causing a great deal of disruption.

Quite true.  Slightly unfair to the more productive individuals
commenting on that RFC, but still quite true ;-)

On the other hand, many people don't care about the userboxes, but are
instead upset over the way with which their deletion has been handled.
 More deletions at this point may solve the userbox problem, but not
the community interaction problem.

Kirill Lokshin