[WikiEN-l] The userbox fad

geni geniice at gmail.com
Tue Jan 3 18:31:14 UTC 2006

On 1/3/06, slimvirgin at gmail.com <slimvirgin at gmail.com> wrote:
> Exactly right. Almost every block is at serious risk now of being
> reversed by an admin who's never read the blocking policy, has had
> very little interaction with the community, and who got elected with
> under 20 votes, but decides he quite liked something the blocked user
> once posted, and so therefore he has to unblock,

That has always happened. Back when I was inforceing the 3RR I quite
regalry had blocks pulled. I never really viewed it as a problem

> leading to wheel
> wars, endless explanations of the most obvious things on WP:AN/I, and
> a consequent unwillingness on the part of other admins to block
> troublemakers until they become serious problems (and even then it can
> be difficult: see the Marsden situation).

We've always tended to avoid blocking people untill they become a
serious problem.

> Unfortunately, part of this
> problem is fueled by the philosophy that adminship is "no big deal,"
> which if Jimbo reads this thread, I ask that he consider commenting on
> somewhere, because I've lost count of the number of support votes I've
> seen quoting it, leading to yet another unknown and possibly clueless
> admin being promoted. Combine poor admins with hundreds of users who
> are turning Wikipedia into a social club, and you have a giant mess.
>
> Sarah

I had to have a notice put up to request wider interest back when I
applied. When did that last happen?
--
geni