[WikiEN-l] The userbox fad

Kelly Martin kelly.lynn.martin at gmail.com
Tue Jan 3 16:32:09 UTC 2006

On 1/3/06, SCZenz <sczenz at gmail.com> wrote:
> Meanwhile, many users *like* userboxes, silly though they may be.  It keeps
> them happy, which means they stay and make more productive edits.

Several of the editors most stridently defending userboxes are editors
who have few, if any, article edits.  I looked at one user's
contributions today where that editor has edited virtually nothing
other than his own user page, various user boxes in the template
space, and the userbox project page.

What purpose is served by this editor's participation in Wikipedia?
Does this person really qualify as a "Wikipedian"?

Kelly