[WikiEN-l] Ads on Wikipedia?

Daniel Mayer maveric149 at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 1 02:49:35 UTC 2006

--- Delirium <delirium at hackish.org> wrote:
> I'm having trouble finding the original mailing list post, but there was
> a pretty explicit post to that effect.  I was able to find a 2002 letter
> by Mav that paraphrases Jimbo as having said that: "Jimbo has also
> promised that there will never be ads on Wikipedia.  I will personally
> advocate that this is written in the preamble for the non-profit's
> constitution or in some other way to make it permanent."
> [http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Maveric49/The_Wikipedia_Family].

Everyting from "I" on was me talking for myself. That was also written a long time ago (over three
years), so I don't recall what exactly I based the paraphrase on either.

A historical note: That post was part of my effort to reunify the  Enciclopedia Libre and the
Spanish Wikipedia. What I was doing was pointing out each of the reasons EL stated prompted them
to start a fork and what has been done since the split to correct their grievances. Interesting
read for anybody who wasn't around at that time.

-- mav