[WikiEN-l] Ads on Wikipedia?

Anthony DiPierro wikilegal at inbox.org
Sun Jan 1 00:21:10 UTC 2006

On 12/31/05, Steve Bennett <stevage at gmail.com> wrote:
> > If $750000 was spent in 2005, it's hardly a shoestring.  A
>
> IMHO it's a shoestring whenever income ~= expenses.  If the income for a
> year only *just* covers server expenditure with no room for backups,
> future proofing, redundancy, taking risks etc, then it's a shoestring -
> the magnitude is irrelevant.

I happen to have the 2004 (fiscal year) Form 990-EZ for the Wikimedia
Foundation in front of me right now (if you'd like to follow along, I
uploaded it to http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/c6/Wikimedia_990_2004.pdf).
 Revenue = $71,171.  Expenses = $14,504.  I'm sure 2005 was basically
the same (only with bigger numbers).  Cash flow is roughly zero, but
this is fairly meaningless.  For example, Microsoft had a negative
cash flow in 2005, the same year their income - expenses was over $3
billion.

Anthony