[WikiEN-l] RFC

Guy Chapman aka JzG guy.chapman at spamcop.net
Sun Dec 31 17:59:33 UTC 2006

On Sun, 31 Dec 2006 16:50:12 +0000, "Thomas Dalton"
<thomas.dalton at gmail.com> wrote:

>> Um, actually, most people have simply given up the fighting.
>
>That's pretty much how consensus based decision making is meant to
>work. You keep arguing until one side stops, either because they're
>convinced by the others arguments, they've reached an acceptable
>compromise, or they simply don't think it's important enough to worry
>about.

In this case, however, it was because of absolute obdurate refusal to
countenance any form of compromise in any way whatsoever on the part
of some people whose religion holds as a fundamental tenet that "all
schools are inherently notable".

Numerous excellent ideas were floated, all rejected by the same small
group of people.  Wikipedia is not a directory, except of some things.

You still get people asserting "all schools are notable".  I think
they may even believe it. I don't: my first school is so far form
notable that it took considerable research even to find out how it
spelt its name, and even then I only have a shrewd idea, I can't find
a reliable source for it.  Another of my schools is over a thousand
years old and the only one in the English-speaking world to have
educated a Pope.  To assert that both are notable is to use such a low
threshold of notability as to render the term utterly meaningless.

I can already see the same arguments starting re shopping malls.  I
hate to think what will be next.

Guy (JzG)
--
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk