[WikiEN-l] Right to anonymity and Autobiographies

Gurch matthew.britton at btinternet.com
Sat Dec 30 20:49:16 UTC 2006

Stephen Park wrote:
> And how should this be permitted? Should editors be permitted to ask CheckUsers
> to verify that a suspected auotobiographer's location is consistent with
> that of the person they're writing about?

I agree with most of what you're saying, however I don't understand this
part. CheckUser only reveals a person's IP address, that can in many
cases produce a "location" of little relevance, even on a different
continent. And even if the location supplied is correct, how exactly are
we supposed to know where in the world the subject of an article is at a
particular moment in time, anyway? Is there some ban on editing while
abroad?

-Gurch