[WikiEN-l] How do "deletionists" find articles to delete?

Steve Block steve.block at myrealbox.com
Sat Dec 30 15:38:47 UTC 2006

David Gerard wrote:
> On 29/12/06, Steve Block <steve.block at myrealbox.com> wrote:
>> David Gerard wrote:
>
>>> Anyone who thinks they're an "inclusionist" should do Special:Newpages
>>> patrol some time. OH MY GOODNESS THE FIREHOSE OF CRAP!
>
>> I think anyone who uses a speedy tag should have to do an hour of this.
>>   Might make people realise what the speedy tags really are for.
>

> I think the problem is that, doing their level best in good faith to
> deal with the FIREHOSE OF CRAP, they get punch-drunk from repeatedly
> being hit over the head with the sum total of human stupidity and
> eventually scream "AIEEEE IT'S ALL CRAAAAP KILL IT ALL KILL IT WITH A
> STICK!!!"

Oh, I entirely agree.  That's why I said an hour.

> So A7 needs to be much less grey-area that it appears to be in
> practice. This will reduce stress for all.

Yes.  It's just very hard to put into words people who shouldn't have
articles.  I always kind of figure that I'd rather the good was deleted
at this stage than the bad was allowed to hang around longer than
needed.  The good will always end up on Wikipedia at some point.  I
always look at the way the article on Wayne Rooney started as a shining
example that Wikipedia works.