[WikiEN-l] The boundaries of OR (contd)

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Fri Dec 29 18:18:56 UTC 2006

Guy Chapman aka JzG wrote:

>Jeff Raymond wrote:
>

>>Not to mention a good academic paper has less stringent "reliable"
>>standards than a Wikipedia entry.
>>

>No, I don't think it does - or if it does it's not relevant.  We will
>allow sources of varying degrees of reliability as long as overall
>there are one or two really solid sources for the core premise of the
>article (because, unlike academic papers, we don't allow original
>research).  But as long as the subject itself is fundamentally
>supported by good, credible sources, it's not necessary to cite
>Britannica for every trivial fact.

Where I have difficulty is in finding that this view still rests on a
number of highly subjective notions:  "reliability", "really solid",
"good, credible", "trivial".  ven leaving aside "original research" and
how we view that there is still a wide gap in how we understand these
subjective terms.  If I use the academic paper as a reference point it's
considerably more than what we might find in popular publications, and
noticeably less than what is wanted by those who view each article as an
isolated whole that strives for independence from the rest of the
encyclopedia.

Ec