[WikiEN-l] The boundaries of OR (contd)

Steve Block steve.block at myrealbox.com
Fri Dec 29 13:20:53 UTC 2006

Matthew Brown wrote:
> On 12/19/06, Steve Bennett <stevagewp at gmail.com> wrote:
>> All these things are sliding scales. It's easy to objectively say "all
>> the victims were women". It's just *harder* to objectively say "all
>> the papers supported notion X". Maybe it's ok. Maybe it isn't.
>
> For one thing, if a source exhaustively lists all X, it's a definitive
> claim that can be sourced.  Stating that all of them have something in
> common is simply a collation and editing function, IMO.
>
> A database search like that described is different; it's not
> definitive and not a single source that can be cited.  It's headed
> into original research to deem the results definitive and decisive;
> there is no guarantee whatsoever that the results have to be
> exhaustive and complete.

Funny you discuss this.  At
http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Taylor_Allderdice_High_School&oldid=96979271
I've got someone asserting in the article that "a search of WorldCat
reveals that as of 2006 Taylor Allderdice remains one of fewer than
sixty high schools in the world to have its newspaper archived on
microfilm in a major library."  I agree this is original research, but
can't find anyone to back me up. Fancy popping your head in and
discussing the point?