[WikiEN-l] How do "deletionists" find articles to delete?

MacGyverMagic/Mgm macgyvermagic at gmail.com
Thu Dec 28 20:47:31 UTC 2006

On 12/28/06, Ron Ritzman <ritzman at gmail.com> wrote:

> I understand that new articles get close scrutiny but just how do
> deletable articles that have been around for a while come to the
> attention to those who regularly nominate articles for deletion?
> (especially if the article is otherwise well written)
>
> I ask this because recently I came across a fairly well written
> article about a computer term that had a prod tag on it for being an
> unsourced neologism. It probably was since all the google hits for it
> pointed to mirrors of its WP article but I still decided to replace
> the prod with a sources tag to give the original author a chance to
> add a source. However, I started to wonder why the person who first
> prodded it suspected it was a neologism as it couldn't have been the
> first term he ran across on wikipedia that he never heard about. Does
> he prod them all?

 If all the Google hits point to mirrors the article in question isn't
verifiable.
Even if they haven't heard about the term, they appear to have made an
effort to find evidence it exists.
A computer term that lacks Google hits probably lacks notability too.

The same could be asked about notability. Just what makes one suspect
> that a particular person/band/school/company/webcomic etc. is not
> notable? Please note that I am not saying that such articles should be
> kept but there has to be something in an otherwise well written
> article to cause someone to investigate the article's eligibility to
> be in wikipedia besides "I've never heard if him/it"

Lack of establishing notability according to the different notability
criteria at [[WP:BIO]], [[WP:MUSIC]], etc would be a reason to investigate
it further. A lot of people don't even mention what makes an article subject
worth being written about.

Mgm