[WikiEN-l] Listspace

Steve Block steve.block at myrealbox.com
Thu Dec 28 12:29:28 UTC 2006

I was looking at the guidance currently offered on overcategorisation,
which I feel is too prescriptive, and it occurred to me that maybe  a
list namespace would now be an idea. After all it does have a featured
process, and it does lend itself to possibilities; lists could be
transcluded into articles in a similar manner to templates where
appropriate.  This could perhaps see navigational templates hived out of
template namespace and allow us to better lockdown template namespace.
Just some thoughts to toss out for wider discussion.  First problem I
can see is conflict with Wikipedia is not a collection of indiscriminate
lists, or whatever it is worded now.  What sparked it is the discussion
which saw the muppet show guest stars category deleted, when everyone
agreed it should be listified.  There doesn't seem to be a process for
listifying a category, and the best time to do it is whern the category
still exists.  Since that muppet show category was deleted in August, it
would be very hard to now recreate the information, which to me seems to
be missing the point of Wikipedia.  We shouldn't delete valuable content
because the form it is in is wrong, we should rather correct the form it
is in.  But I suppose that is the problem with process, sometimes it
overrides the ideas it was built to support.

Steve block