[WikiEN-l] User:Virgin United creates article for Virgin Unite

Andrew Gray shimgray at gmail.com
Thu Dec 28 11:04:45 UTC 2006

On 28/12/06, Gregory Kohs <thekohser at gmail.com> wrote:
> How is this not a violation of the WP:COI guideline?
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Virgin_Unite&diff=prev&oldid=96734143
>
> I guess if you donate enough money on December 27th to the Wikimedia
> Foundation, you're allowed to create whatever you want about yourself on
> Wikipedia.  When I suggested that MyWikiBiz could make per-article donations
> to Wikimedia, I was hissed out of the room.

Huh, interesting; I thought that article had been created by the
Anome. (I remember looking into creating it myself the previous night,
but the paucity of information on the org in question meant it'd have
been a dismal substub; it was already redlinked from [[Virgin Group]])

If we'd blocked the user and speedy-deleted the article when it was
created, I can guarantee you it'd have been recreated in good faith by
a community member later that day. Sometimes, kneejerk deletion
reactions are somewhat futile.

--
- Andrew Gray
  andrew.gray at dunelm.org.uk