[WikiEN-l] The boundaries of OR (contd)

Gurch matthew.britton at btinternet.com
Wed Dec 27 22:15:53 UTC 2006

Marc Riddell wrote:
> Back to some basics of my argument, or proposal, or whatever it has become:
> I am not talking about 'experts'. If I see an edit has been made to an
> Article in WP I would like to be able go to that Article's History Page and
> see the 'source' (person) of that edit, with a User Name in Blue. Then, if I
> choose, I can go to that corresponding User Page and learn something about
> that editor - it really is that simple!

Er... am I missing something here? You *can* do the first part of that;
and if the user chooses to provide personal information, you can also do
the second. However, no matter how much you may wish to know such
information, you cannot, and Wikipedia cannot, force every editor to
provide a full biography and list of qualifications. Disclosure of such
information is not required to contribute and never will be.

-Gurch