[WikiEN-l] Is it true...

Michael Snow wikipedia at earthlink.net
Tue Dec 26 22:32:31 UTC 2006

Ray Saintonge wrote:

> geni wrote:

>>> So a caricature of Picard would be forbidden?  Really?
>>
>> It might count as fair use under certain conditions. A painting of
>> Patrick Stewart would probably be a safer bet although there would be
>> other issues with things such as in the US at least the Right of
>> Publicity.
>
> I believe Major League Baseball already lost that case to the
> rotisserie leagues.

I believe that case had to do with organized baseball claiming to own
statistics, as a byproduct of owning the rights to the games as they are
played. I wouldn't expect it to be particularly applicable to this
situation. The right of publicity is a rather different concept,
associated with the use of a person's image or likeness.

--Michael Snow