[WikiEN-l] Main Page Featured Article

Alphax (Wikipedia email) alphasigmax at gmail.com
Sun Dec 24 14:15:55 UTC 2006

Steve Bennett wrote:
> On 12/21/06, Chris Picone <ccool2ax at gmail.com> wrote:
>> ...except admin. Why can't trusted users handle admin? It's not like
>> admin is a big deal, so we should hand it out more liberally.
>
> Adminship lets you do lots of very different things, including
> protecting/unprotecting, accessing deleted revisions of pages,
> deleting pages, blocking users, rollback, modifying protected
> articles, templates, and stylesheets and more. This range of powers is
> so diverse that it's hard to even imagine one person actually needing
> them all.

Admins can:

* Delete, restore, view deleted revisions
* Protect and unprotect on various levels, edit protected
* Edit global interface (MediaWiki: namespace) and user interface (User:
space .js and .css files other than their own)
* Block, unblock users, IPs, IP ranges
* Rollback, rollback with bot parameter to remove from RC

This is from a technical point of view; the combination of these things
just makes it look like they can do a whole lot more.