[WikiEN-l] Crediting images inside the article text

Anthony wikilegal at inbox.org
Sat Dec 23 19:19:52 UTC 2006

On 12/23/06, Oldak Quill <oldakquill at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 23/12/06, Steve Bennett <stevagewp at gmail.com> wrote:
> > This should IMHO be the standard. Most books that publish photos "by
> > permission" give the credit directly beneath the photo. We should be
> > no different. And, it would help that goal of encouraging people to
> > free up their photos for us.
>
> Most books don't have a descriptive page dedicated to each image, we
> do.  I don't see why duplicating this information is necessary, it
> ends up cluttering the article proper.

By the same article it's not necessary to include the image in the
article, as there's a separate page dedicated to it.

Duplication isn't always a bad thing, especially when the duplication
is a one line summary of the original.  It usually isn't necessary
(exception would be when the license requires it), but it also usually
isn't harmful.  I'd say in most cases it's better - I find myself
clicking on image links a lot just out of curiosity to see how it was
obtained.  Saving these extra clicks would be nice, and the tiny bit
of space it takes to do so would be worth it.  But that's just me,
other reader preferences obviously will vary.

By the way, if we're going to appeal to what others do, online
Britannica has inline credits even though they have a separate image
page.  Online Encarta presents their credit information a click away.
So there's precedent for either.

Anthony