[WikiEN-l] The boundaries of OR (contd)

jayjg jayjg99 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 22 03:44:27 UTC 2006

On 12/21/06, Thomas Dalton <thomas.dalton at gmail.com> wrote:
> > No, you absolutely cannot do that, for reasons eloquently stated
> > elsewhere. The claim that it is not in the Cornell University Library
> > is a novel conclusion based on your own original research; this seems
> > so trivially obvious to me that it astonishes me that others would
> > claim otherwise. You might as well promote a novel claim in physics,
> > and point people to the calculations you have made to prove your
> > theory. If a reliable source says "the book is not found in the
> > Cornell University Library", then quote them. Otherwise, move on.
>
> What's novel about "It doesn't appear on the such results, therefore
> it isn't in the library"? Seems like an obvious conclusion to me...
> (might not be 100% reliable, depending on search terms, accuracy of
> the library's index, etc, but that doesn't make it novel).

Read your own words; "Seems like an obvious conclusion to me..." You
are drawing your own conclusions, rather than quoting others who have
drawn those conclusions. In addition, by definition it is a *novel*
conclusion; if it weren't novel, then you'd be able to quote someone
who had come to the same conclusion.

Jay.