[WikiEN-l] issue with an admin refusing to allow me "right to vanish"

George Herbert george.herbert at gmail.com
Thu Dec 21 20:00:23 UTC 2006

> MacGyverMagic/Mgm wrote:
> > It's the hidden from non-admins part that is a problem.
> > If you did any significant editing, the discussions on your talk page
> could
> > be of interest to other editors even after you leave. It could be tagged
> as
> > belonging to a left user, it can be protected from trolls, and it might
> even
> > be blankable, but it cannot be deleted.
>
> In general, I do not agree with this approach.  Allowing people to
> vanish, including deleting their user and user_talk pages, is often the
> best way to part company with dignity.  "Could be of interest" should
> not be the standard, I think, but rather "Is indispensable to the
> functioning of the encyclopedia."
>
> There can be exceptions, of course.  If a user repeatedly joins and
> deletes (perhaps sockpuppeting), causing a lot of disruptive demands to
> delete their userpage, we could just ignore it if that seemed like the
> best way to deal with it.
>
> But in general, I see no reason to have a general policy of keeping talk
> pages around that make someone who would like to leave us unhappy.

The specific claim here is that this was a rootology sockpuppet, rootology
having been banned in the ED arbcom case.

The evidence is being closely held, but I trust the admins in question.

I find this all sort of unfortunate, because before that case rootology
seemed like he might be contributing positively, but he left in rather a
huff and under a cloud.

--
-george william herbert
george.herbert at gmail.com