[WikiEN-l] Office actions

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Thu Dec 21 06:39:52 UTC 2006

theProject wrote:

>Whoa, whoa, whoa. How would Wiki[m/p]edia, in the United States, be subject
>to a law in the United Kingdom? Just because some country has a law that
>would prevent Wikipedia from stating something about some particular topic
>doesn't mean Wikipedia has to follow it. If we followed North Korean or
>Chinese or Iranian laws on free speech, I have the feeling some of our
>articles would be pretty blank. :-)

While the placement of the servers and offices gives primary legal
jurisdiction to the United States, this is not a green light for
ignoring the laws of other countries completely.  People in many
countries become justifiably upset when Americans take this route.

A respect for the legal culture of other countries helps to build mutual
co-operation even if there is no conceivable avenue for enforcing those
laws.  Why shouldn't North Korean, Chinese or Iranian law be respected
when they are relevent?

Ec