[WikiEN-l] Fwd: [Foundation-l] English Wikipedia ethnocentric policy affects other communities

Anthere Anthere9 at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 20 13:29:46 UTC 2006

Please, have a look at http://www.wikipedia.org

There is a whole world aside from the english project. The japanese
wikipedia has over 300 000 articles. We are working in over 200
languages. English is only part of it.

But let me explain why it is an issue.

In a very short time (hopefully, ahum), a new feature will be unable on
the project. The Single Login.

The Single Login will make it so, that one person is registed on all
projects and all languages, with only one account. Right now, the
account system is such that one person has one account for each project
and for each language as it is now.

So, right now, if an english user, called in real life William
Sommerfield, has created an account [[user:William]] on the english
wikipedia, he may be [[user:WilliamSommerfield]] on the english
wikibooks, and [[user:WilliamS]] on the french wikinews.

And a bilingual japanese english editor may be under a japanese user
name on the japanese wikipedia, and under an english user name on the
english wikipedia (thus respecting your rule of avoiding non-latin
caracters).

BUT, soon, this will not be possible any more. All users will have only
ONE account.

So, if a japanese person has an account on the japanese wikipedia, with
non latin caracters, he should not have to be forced to change his
global name to unnatural caracters, just to be able to do a couple of
edits under his user name on the english wikipedia.

Similarly, an english editor should be able to edit under his latin name
on the japanese wikipedia.

Do you understand the problem now ?

Now, it is reported that english editors do not like seeing non latin
caracters names, because it is difficult to distinguish and may be
confused with bot gibberish.

As reported on the Foundation list, Wikigod™ Brion has already addressed
this; it is no longer possible to create usernames which uses several
scripts. So you cannot mix Latin and Cyrillic characters, or Latin and
Greek, or even Greek and Cyrillic (or Arabic or Devanagari or …), so
that is no longer an issue.

There is still the issue of "recognising" names, and a guideline for
that matter might be helpful. But it is not okay to force people to
change their user name just to fit one wikipedia rules. And it certainly
is not okay to block people from non english cultures because they
refuse to comply to change their name for a westernish one. The main
result it would have would be to prevent most people from asian
countries to participate to the english wikipedia. Is that suitable ?
I'd say it is not.

So, rather than saying the complaint is ill-advise, I rather recommand
that we work together trying to set up a compromise which will be
acceptable by all parties. Saying "your name is not valid because I can
not read your language, so you can't edit Wikipedia" is not what I would
call a compromise.

Anthere