[WikiEN-l] Fwd: [Foundation-l] English Wikipedia ethnocentric policy affects other communities

Luna lunasantin at gmail.com
Wed Dec 20 10:01:57 UTC 2006

Forwarding from foundation-l, after a brief discussion between myself and
the original poster. See more at:
http://mail.wikimedia.org/pipermail/foundation-l/2006-December/thread.html

"English Wikipedia ethnocentric policy affects other communities" --
specifically, our username policy, and the practice of blocking non-Latin
usernames on sight.

Seems a number of multi-wiki users have felt pushed away or chagrined by
this policy. Single-login seems like it might render the whole thing a moot
point -- are we ready for the implications of that? Or does anything need to
be done? Do we know how single-login will affect each wiki's ability to set
and enforce a username policy, and if so, should changes to the policy
result?

Myself, I'm not sure of the answers to any of these questions, just yet. But
it seems like we may as well discuss it.

Apologies if I just happened to miss a prior thread -- if it's already
happened, I don't remember seeing it.

-Luna