[WikiEN-l] Main Page Featured Article

Steve Bennett stevagewp at gmail.com
Tue Dec 19 05:14:54 UTC 2006

On 12/19/06, George Herbert <george.herbert at gmail.com> wrote:
> Having watched the discussion and thought about it for a few hours, I
> think that of the options which are technically viable, this one seems
> to win for ease of near-term implimentation and completeness of proper
> function.
>
> Assuming that a {{subst:}} works recursively and automatically, which
> I really don't know...  My MediaWiki installation is outside my
> immediate hands-on test radius unfortunately.

Naively substituting all templates used on a given page isn't viable
imho - some templates would subst into a huge, ugly mess of code. What
I was attempting to suggest before was taking something like this:

{{infobox foo|
aoeuoae|
oaueoau|
}}

and substituting it into a temporary template, then replacing that in
the page code:

{{_tfa_infobox foo|
aoeuoae|
oaueoau|
}}

It's a bit of work to organise (every template used on the page has to
go through this protection mechanism), but has the advantage that the
effect on the code in the page itself is minimal: every instance of {{
is replaced by {{_tfa_, and then vice-versa after the page is no
longer TFA.

Steve