[WikiEN-l] The boundaries of OR

Thomas Dalton thomas.dalton at gmail.com
Mon Dec 18 12:08:00 UTC 2006

> I was speaking to the particular example given, where there are two
> popular positions on the subject held by lay people, while all expert
> accounts support only one of those positions. In this context, where
> all experts who have written on the subject have agreed with the same
> position, surely it is not original research to say so.

It would be easiest in this case just to state it as fact and cite the
sources you've found.

"While some members of the public believe X [cite], legally, Y is
correct [cite][cite][cite]."

You are allowed to assume that your sources are correct, as long as
they appear reliable (something published in a law journal counts as
reliable). That's why we cite sources, so in the event that the source
is wrong it is clear who is at fault, and we can't be charged with
libel, or whatever else the consequences of false information may be.