[WikiEN-l] Office actions

Newyorkbrad (Wikipedia) newyorkbrad at gmail.com
Mon Dec 18 02:16:50 UTC 2006

I've been closely following the thread about WP:Office actions and
appreciated what clarification has been provided as to the different types
of Office actions that can be taken.  If I am reading things
correctly, I gather there is a distinction between (1) a page that is fully
Office Protected (meaning that it basically shouldn't be edited at all
without express Office permission; this is a rare status, there are only 7
such pages as of now in the whole project); and (2) and a page that has been
Office Blanked/Stubbed (meaning the article needs to be redone but feel free
to edit as long as it's in accordance with policy including WP:Living).  In
due course, the WP:Office page might be clarified in this regard as there
does seem to be widespread uncertainty.

Another WP:Office related question on which clarification might be in order
is under what circumstances an administrator or editor should call
situations to the Office's attention.  A few weeks ago, I came across a
serious legal threats situation involving threats to sue the Foundation
unless changes were made in an article immediately.  I suggested on one of
the noticeboards that this seemed like the sort of thing that the Office
would want to know about right away.  I was e-mailed by two people who
indicated that the Office actually prefers that administrators deal with
these situations on their own without getting the Foundation involved.  Some
clarification on when the Office should be notified of the various types of
threats and other situations that arise could be helpful so that admins and
editors are able to do the best possible job of protecting the Foundation
and the contributors.  This is a concrete issue that comes up every week,
any insight would be helpful.

Newyorkbrad