[WikiEN-l] Reverberating self-reinforcing autoregenerative circular sourcing

Delirium delirium at hackish.org
Fri Dec 15 18:24:02 UTC 2006

wikipedia2006 at dpbsmith.com wrote:

>And, guess what: the reporter's source was the Wikipedia article.

I recently found this on a "serious" subject as well.  Back in 2003 I
wrote an article on [[Sulaiman Abu Ghaith]], an Al Qaeda spokesman.
Almost nothing has been reported on him since then.  When recently
researching to make sure nothing new has turned up, I stumbled across a
BBC News "Who's Who in Al Qaeda?" article that seemed to say as
much---that his current whereabouts are unknown, and it's unclear
whether he's in Iranian custody (as reported in 2003) or even in Iran at
all.  I almost cited this for the article's last sentence, which says
exactly that.  The problem---it's the *verbatim* same sentence.  The BBC
not only got its information from the article I wrote in 2003, but
lifted my sentence word for word!  (archive.org can verify that the
sentence in Wikipedia long predates the BBC's use of it, and it uses an
idiosyncratic grammatical construction, so there it's very unlikely to
be a coincidence.)  Fortunately, the claim that nobody's reported
anything on him since 2003 is pretty trivially verifiable, so this
source isn't entirely needed, but it's still a bit unnerving that
apparently I am now the world authority---indirectly via the BBC via
Wikipedia---on Al Qaeda whereabouts.

Details here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Sulaiman_Abu_Ghaith