[WikiEN-l] First fair use criterium

Timwi timwi at gmx.net
Thu Dec 14 17:53:54 UTC 2006

I've just had an idea.

One of the "problems" cited for "replaceable" fair-use images is that
they give the (false) impression that an image is no longer needed for
the relevant article, right?

Well, maybe it would make sense to mark nonfree images in the article
somehow. A red border, perhaps.

I know the following suggestion requires extra coding, but I imagine it
would be possible to have a tag on the image description page (which, in
the case of the English Wikipedia, would be transcluded through some of
the copyright-status templates), which would cause the image thumbnails
in articles to have an extra CSS class specifier. Then extra styling can
be added for that CSS class specifier, e.g. red border or background. Or
it can be neutral by default but still enable CSS wizards to add
something to their own user CSS.

Discuss. :)

Timwi