[WikiEN-l] "Fair use" images of living people

Steve Block steve.block at myrealbox.com
Wed Dec 13 13:32:33 UTC 2006

Gregory Maxwell wrote:

> As far as PR goes... The fair use issue is mostly "sausage making"
> which is intersting to us but not interesting or even confusing to
> outsiders.  I think it would be better to instead say "We need
> photographers and other people with the skills required to make
> quality illustrations."

That was kind of my point, that Jimmy bang the drum for the fact that
it's just not text that is used in Wikipedia, but all those old family
photographs which would enhance the commons and wikipedia no end.  I
mean, there is a real possibility to create an open source image
library/photographic archive, and that would help Wikipedia and could
well be something that would generate press attention. It doesn't have
to cover the fair use issue at all, just a simple hey, you know that
picture your mum took of Elvis in 1960?  How would your mum feel to see
that illustrate an encyclopedic article on Elvis?  Why not pop along to
Wikipedia and ask how we can make that possible.  Something like that.