[WikiEN-l] Hello

Delirium delirium at hackish.org
Wed Dec 13 07:22:27 UTC 2006

Eugene van der Pijll wrote:
> Sam Korn schreef:
>
>> The suggestion is that some kind of tool -- as yet, I believe
>> unwritten -- could generate a list of all members of a category and
>> its subcategories.  I imagine this would suit your purpose.
>>

> Unfortunately, it would not. At least, not completely. Categorization is
> not transitive: if article A is a member of category C, and C is a
> subcat of D, A need not be a member of D. For example: [[Seine]] is in
> [[Category:Paris]], which is in [[Category:Cities in France]], which is
> in [[Category:France]], which is in [[Category:Republics]], which
> ultimately is a subcat of [[Category:Thought]].
>
> But the Seine is not a thought, a republic, or a city in France.

I agree that this often happens, but in my opinion some of these sorts
of things are bad uses of the category system and can be avoided (which
I do in my own categorization).  In particular, categories that are very
clearly collections of things, like [[Category:Cities in France]],
should *not* contain "related-to" subcategories.  The article [[Paris]]
should be in [[Category:Cities in France]], but [[Category:Paris]]
should not be.

-Mark