[WikiEN-l] Admins who pretend to quit (was Re: MONGO and the ArbComm)

Fred Bauder fredbaud at waterwiki.info
Wed Dec 13 02:22:38 UTC 2006

On Dec 12, 2006, at 1:57 PM, M Roget wrote:

> Can we have a rule that states that any admin who "quits" Wikipedia to
> protest this or that is automatically desysopped? It's one thing to
> take a
> wikibreak or to leave because of real life time commitments but any
> admin
> who quits in order to make a point has abdicated their
> responsibilities.
> There seems to be a trend of admins announcing their departure only
> to come
> back in a few days after dozens of people have posted supportive
> statements
> on their talk page. Call me cynical but this looks like manipulative
> trolling to me and automatic desysopping would create a
> disincentive. If
> someone really intends to leave they won't care about being
> desysopped -
> they'll even request that it be done but if somone is just
> pretending to
> leave an automatic desysopping will make them think twice.
>
> Michel

I don't like this. First, because I would have been desyopped,
second, because very upsetting things happen in the normal course of
events and having been worked over once, they would under that policy
be worked over twice. The people who get upset are often our very
best. How could you not get upset at some of the nonsense?

Fred