[WikiEN-l] Admins who pretend to quit (was Re: MONGO and the ArbComm)

Jim Schuler jim62sch at gmail.com
Tue Dec 12 22:44:42 UTC 2006

On 12/12/06, Parker Peters <onmywayoutster at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 12/12/06, Luna <lunasantin at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Ehh. If someone's *constantly* leaving and coming back and making all
> > sorts
> > of drama over this sort of thing, I might be more inclined to exlore
> that
> > option. But in terms of an indefinite fits-all-situations policy, I'm
> not
> > too fond of the idea. I figure good contributors are entitled to a
> certain
> > amount of drama and temper tantrum, now and then.
> >
> > Well, maybe "entitled" is a poor word choice. But if somebody solves
> more
> > problems than they cause, in the long run, I'm personally willing to
> > tolerate breakdowns and depressions.
> >
> > Just my ramblings on the matter. Dissect at will,
> > -Luna
> >

> MONGO: I lost count.
> Slimvirgin: at least 3 instances, one of which was "if you don't ban this
> user I'm leaving."
> FloNight: at least 2 instances.
>
> I'm sure I could hunt down others, those are just off the top of my head.
>
> Parker

Happens in the real world too, it's just a part of life.  People get
frustrated, they threaten to leave, they calm down and on it goes.  I know
that some people like to think Wikipedia is some parallel universe where the
laws of reality are suspended and a Utopian ideal is supreme, but
Wikipedians are flesh and blood real people whose flesh and blood
emotions penetrate the brane separating Wikiworld from the real world.

In other words, "it's life and life only".

Oh, and one more point: admins are volunteers, what's with the "abdicat[ing]
their responsibilities" bs?

--
Jim
http://iacobomus.blogspot.com/