[WikiEN-l] Admins who pretend to quit (was Re: MONGO and the ArbComm)

M Roget mroget at gmail.com
Tue Dec 12 20:57:40 UTC 2006

Can we have a rule that states that any admin who "quits" Wikipedia to
protest this or that is automatically desysopped? It's one thing to take a
wikibreak or to leave because of real life time commitments but any admin
who quits in order to make a point has abdicated their responsibilities.
There seems to be a trend of admins announcing their departure only to come
back in a few days after dozens of people have posted supportive statements
on their talk page. Call me cynical but this looks like manipulative
trolling to me and automatic desysopping would create a disincentive. If
someone really intends to leave they won't care about being desysopped -
they'll even request that it be done but if somone is just pretending to
leave an automatic desysopping will make them think twice.

Michel