[WikiEN-l] MONGO and the ArbCom

Fred Bauder fredbaud at waterwiki.info
Tue Dec 12 13:15:08 UTC 2006

On Dec 12, 2006, at 1:05 AM, Guy Chapman aka JzG wrote:

> On Tue, 12 Dec 2006 01:21:16 -0500, Jimmy Wales <jwales at wikia.com>
> wrote:
>
> It's not me, Jimmy, but I will put my name to it.  MONGO should go on
> a Wikibreak but should absolutely not be hounded out of the project
> (which is in effect what has happened).  He has dealt tirelessly with
> the 9/11 "truthers", whose tactics begin in the sewer and get steadily
> worse over time.
>
> This is, without question, a victory for the trolls.
>
> Of course MONGO should have held back, and we, his friends and fellow
> admins, should have helped him to do that, but I suspect that the
> decision is not going to be a popular one.  A one month block to cool
> off?  I could get behind that.  Desysopping?  I don't think I can
> agree with that. Maybe time will lend perspective, but right now it
> looks like kicking a man while he's down.

He may immediately apply to be an administrator again; however, I
think he has lost broad community support. The Arbitration Committee
proposals are harsh, but there are serious problems with the way he
acts. He responds poorly to harassment, and he is quite dismissive of
his opponents with respect to content. "Nonsense" is frequently used.

Fred