[WikiEN-l] First fair use criterium

Steve Bennett stevagewp at gmail.com
Mon Dec 11 01:44:33 UTC 2006

> It is an explicit goal of the project to produce an encyclopedia of
> free content. Fair use images are not free. Thus it is harmful because
> the explicit goals of the project define unfree content as a
> non-solution.  The fact that other factors may make the harm
> preferable to other harms does not change the fact that unfree content
> is a harm.

Let's paraphrase into parable language:

"The explicit goal of the project is to acquire a collection of
apples. Therefore, every time someone gives us an orange, this is
harmful to our project."

This, by itself, is not logical. The implied extra clause that
supposedly makes this logical is that people think that if we have
enough oranges, we don't need any more apples. I would suggest that
this attitude is what needs correcting, rather than our lovely orange
collection.

Steve