[WikiEN-l] The vexed issue of sources

Guy Chapman aka JzG guy.chapman at spamcop.net
Thu Dec 7 23:29:51 UTC 2006

On Thu, 7 Dec 2006 23:21:32 +0000, "Thomas Dalton"
<thomas.dalton at gmail.com> wrote:

>Episodes are perfectly valid sources, but they are primary sources, so
>have the same issues as any other primary source. (Basically, they're
>only useful for stating facts, any interpretation needs to cite a
>secondary source.)

They are valid sources for "Kirk was prosecuted by JAG in episode
''foo''"

They are not valid sources for "Military law is influenced by the
actual Uniform Code of Military Justice (UCMJ)" based on comparing the
code as described in the cited episode with the UCMJ,

Or for "One aspect of Starfleet legal procedure which is hardly
explored is the concept of Captain's Mast. Only on two occasions, over
a 30 year period, is a brief mention made of this and then, only in
action and not by name."

Or indeed "Dialogue reveals that a court-martial may be convened in
the absence of any JAG officers by three presiding command-level
officers".

Memory Alpha loves this kind of thing, apparently.  I think we could
safely leave it to them...

Guy (JzG)
--
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk