[WikiEN-l] First fair use criterium

Gregory Maxwell gmaxwell at gmail.com
Thu Dec 7 19:56:59 UTC 2006

On 12/7/06, Ken Arromdee <arromdee at rahul.net> wrote:
> That only proves he can get pictures of dozens of celebrities.
>
> Unless you have some reason to believe that those dozens are typical of
> celebrities in general and it's as easy to get pictures of the rest as it
> is to get pictures of those, it proves nothing.
>
> I can walk into a bookstore and come out with a stack of $1 books.  Does that
> mean that given any particular book, you can probably find it for $1?

It was claimed that we can not get free pictures of celebs that don't
visit award events, at least without stalking. I pointed out free
pictures of celebs (some of which do not visit award events) which
were, presumably, created without stalking.

I never argued that it was easy, only that it being hard doesn't make
it necessarily impossible.  If you have an argument why a specific
free image isn't possible then you can make that argument for using an
unfree image, ... such an argument should be accepted by the standing
policy. (so long as you're actually arguing that it's not possible,
rather than arguing that it's not easy)